Monday, November 7, 2011

Dear Dietitian

Dear Dietitian,

First of all, I would like to tell you that you are gutless! You are a gutless coward! If you have a problem with the way I am feeding my child, come and talk to me yourself!

Oh, that's right, you did! I told you that I would NOT put her on formula... you told me that I was neglecting her health. I asked you if you drank formula for every meal seeing as how it was so healthy, you huffed and walked away.

Nicola's oncology consultant AGREED with me! He agreed that formula was not suitable for Nicola because of the impact on her bowels. Instead of leaving it at that, you went behind our backs to the fill in doctor while Nicola's doctor was away and had a bitch and whinge because in YOUR opinion Nicola is not getting her nutritional requirements.

Based on what?? Based on the fact that last weekend Nicola received very little solid food and then over the weekend Nicola's meals were returned to the kitchen uneaten.

Well, Dear Dietician, how about you find out the facts before you start throwing around accusations? Last week, on Monday Nicola was fasted until 3pm before we found out she wasn't going to theatre. On Tuesday she was fasted until she actually went to theatre. She had a major operation on her gut which then caused her gut to shut down in response. She was then put in clear fluids only until Friday evening when the surgeons finally decided that they could hear enough bowel sounds to have her eating again.

Saturday, the meals that came from the kitchen were minced, not pureed. Minced foods CANNOT go through her PEG. I fed her from my own personal supply of foods and sent the meals back to the kitchen.

Sunday, the meals that came from the kitchen were minced, not pureed. Minced foods CANNOT go through her PEG. Again, I fed her from my own personal supply of foods and sent the meals back to the kitchen.

On both days she has consumed healthy foods, fruits, meats, vegetables, yoghurts and custards. On both days she has been given apple juice and water and milk.

On neither day was she given unhealthy or insubstantial foods!

I will NOT put her on formula because you are completely and utterly incapable of thinking outside the box. I will NOT put her on formula because YOU think I am doing the wrong thing, and I will NOT put her on formula because it's easier for YOU.

And finally, do you realise how completely and utterly STUPID you sound when you stand there and tell me that real food is not nutritional enough? Really? If meats, fruits, veges, grains, dairy etc are not nutritional then the world at large is in very, very, very big trouble!

I suggest you go home, enjoy your formula and leave us the hell alone to enjoy our nice foods because I will not be listening to anything you have to say in the future.

Regards,

One very very angry (and just a tad emotional) Mummy.


4 comments:

Shay said...

Way to go, Momma! You tell her. I get annoyed with these people who think they know more than the parents\doctor.

Unknown said...

I cant believe her comment that real food is not nutritional enough. Why would she need formula when she is getting all that and more. Keep doing what you are hun. You know what is best for Nicola :)

Anonymous said...

You know what is right for your beautiful princess, keep up with the amazing job you are doing!

SassyCannuck said...

I hope someone gives the dietician this letter albiet a few months after the fact so Nicola nor mum can be affected by the rage she will most likely feel....the rage of stupidity! She should feel utterly utterly stupid, ignorant and inept as well as incompetent. I know..sigh..there are just tooo too many of them in the world...God help us and love us.

Post a Comment